Halloween is just around the corner and already there are a lot of pumpkins in the market. I happened to get this big juicy pumpkin a couple of days ago and after making our traditional south indian “Avial’ and ‘Olan’ dishes, wanted to try my hand at something different. Read up a lot of blogs and came across this simple soulful soup from Padmajha. Thank you for this recipe PJ. I did not make any changes to this recipe and we devoured this yummy soup on a cold Texan evening..Bliss! Try it out.
Pumpkin cubes – 2 cups
Tomato – 1 large
Ginger – a large piece,minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Spring onions – a little – finely chopped
Sesame seeds – toasted to garnish
- In a large microwave proof bowl put in the pumpkin cubes and add enough water to cover the pieces.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes or till soft.[Pumpkin gets cooked fast]. Keep aside.
- In another bowl blanch tomato.
- Once done put in the minced ginger and cover and keep aside.
- When the pumpkin and tomato are cool,puree it with the water[and ginger] used to blanch the tomato .
- Return the puree to the microwave proof bowl,add salt and adjust consistency by adding water if required.
- Microwave on medium for 2 minutes or till it comes to a boil.Let it stand for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with pepper powder, spring onion greens/toasted sesame seeds.