I stumbled upon this egg curry when our dear friend Indu called us for dinner at their place. I fell in love with the gravy and my gray cells started racing as to how this dish would look with aloo, paneer and tofu. Needless to say this gravy is for keeps. Thanks Indu for this finger-licking simple dish. Try this dish which I have described below with tofu, eggs, paneer, aloo or some koftas. I used tofu in my attempt to include more protein rich food in the vegetarian diet.
Bon Appetit 🙂
1/2 lb firm tofu cubed or 1/2 lb paneer cubes or 4 boiled eggs or 2 or 3 potatoes cubed.
Onion – 1 large or 2 medium.
Tomatoes – 4 medium
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 to 1 tsp.
Kasturi methi – 1 to 2 tsp crushed (if using methi powder use about – 1/2 to 1 tsp depending on the strength of the powder.)
Jeera or Cumin – a handful.
Ginger – a inch piece(more if you like)
Garlic – 3-4 cloves.
Green chilli – 3 nos (optional – if using green chilli , omit the red chilli powder )
Salt – to taste.
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Coconut powder – 2 to 3 tbsp (depending on volume required. You can omit it if you dislike the taste of coconut.)
Oil – 3 tbsp.
Chop the onions and fry them in oil( a tbsp) until the pieces become nicely brown. Boil and blanch the tomatoes and keep them aside.
Drain water from tofu. Press water from them. Dry fry them, cube them and keep aside.
Tofu being dry fried.
Grind coconut powder first and then add jeera, salt, chilli powder, onions(fried), garam masala, turmeric powder, kasturi methi powder(methi powder) and boiled tomatoes and grind them to a fine smooth paste.
Grind separately ginger, garlic and green chilli(if using) together.
Heat the pan and add remaining oil to it and add jeera and mustard seeds, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste to it. Saute till the raw smell goes off. After a minute or two add the above paste to it and stir at times. Take care as the paste can splutter. Keep gas on medium-low level. After few mins (when you see oil floating on top) add tofu to it and let it blend for a few more mins.
Garnish it with cilantro and serve.
1) Instead of the tofu, you can add boiled eggs for egg curry. It tastes amazing. Just slit lengthwise on the egg and drop into the dish. The egg will take in the flavour through the slits.
2) You can replace tofu with paneer cubes that are fried. Absolutely delicious.
3) You can add cubed potatoes and make this dish too. Just boil enough to get the potatoes cooked.
4) Make the gravy and add koftas to it. It will taste great. Use your imagination. 🙂
5) You can grind green chillies along with the ginger-garlic paste. In that case, omit the red chilli powder to adjust for the level of spiciness.